Assertive Defense Of Federal Environmental Criminal Charges
A headline in the Washington, D.C.-based publication The Hill stated it plainly and effectively: “Environmental regulations have become impossible to follow.” The story explains that one presidential administration rewrites the previous administration’s environmental regulations, which were rewritten from the administration before that. “There is little consistency and predictability in today’s environmental regulation because of a never-ending rewrite of the rules by which Americans must abide,” the story states.
According to The Hill, Congress writes federal laws such as the Clean Water Act, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and the Clean Air Act with language that is intentionally vague and allows agency bureaucrats to fill in the blanks as they see fit.
William Mauzy, Attorney at Law, provides assertive defense for companies or individuals who face charges of violating a federal environmental law. These cases are investigated and prosecuted by officials from the Environmental Crimes Section of the United States Department of Justice, along with agents from the Environmental Protection Agency. Charges may involve:
- Illegal removal of asbestos or failure to properly dispose of asbestos
- Illegal handling, transportation and disposal of hazardous wastes and pesticides
- Contamination of drinking water
- Endangering protected species
- Air emissions of toxic pollutants
- Oil spills
- Other violations
You Need A Lawyer Who Has Been There
It is critical to enlist the services of a lawyer who understands federal and state environmental laws, and who is proven capable of defending clients in these cases. Attorney William Mauzy has a track record of success defending clients against federal environmental charges:
- In U.S. v. Meister, Mr. Mauzy represented a Minneapolis plant manager who was charged with 13 Clean Water Act felony offenses. The defendant was found not guilty of all felonies and found only guilty of a charge that Mr. Mauzy had negotiated down to a misdemeanor. The defendant was sentenced to probation and no jail time.
- In U.S. v. Okubo, Mr. Mauzy was successful in having environmental criminal charges against a business owner dismissed without a trial.
- In U.S. v. Pacific Hide & Fur, et al, Mr. Mauzy defended individuals and a company from Pocatello, Idaho, who were found not guilty of all but one count of federal felony environmental crimes. The remaining count was later reversed by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
Here Is What Sets The Firm Apart
Mr. Mauzy has more than 100 trial victories in both state and federal courts. In addition to a lengthy list of acquittals, he is highly skilled in resolving criminal cases without the need to litigate.
He brings more than 30 years of experience to every case as well as a hard-earned reputation that has resulted in a number of awards and accolades. This includes being named as one of the Top 10 Lawyers in Minnesota and being chosen as a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers (an honor limited to the top 1% of lawyers in the nation).
Make The Smart Call
Federal environmental criminal charges are a serious matter that requires serious representation. Call 612-504-5533 or use the online contact form on this website for a free consultation. Mr. Mauzy will answer your questions and recommend a course of action.